General Information about Singapore:
- Inhabitants: 4.839.400
- Area: 710.2 km²
- Population density: 6814.1 inhabitants per km²
- Religions: Buddhism (42.5%), Islam (14.9%), Christianity (14.6%)
- Currency: Singapore Dollar
- Languages: English, Malay, Chinese, Tamil
- Country Code: +65
- Rate of unemployment: 2.6%
Singapore is located between Malaysia and Indonesia at the southern tip of the Malayan peninsula and therefore just 137 km north of the equator. Singapore is an insular state, which consists of the main Island and 63 other, smaller Islands, of which just 20 are inhabited. The total area of Singapore is only 710 m². Its width from east to west amounts 42 km and only 23 from north to south. Therewith Singapore is the smallest state of south-east Asia and is approximately just as big as Hamburg. Round about 55% of Singapore city is full of buildings and streets but the remaining 45% are still consisting of nature reserves, parks, and morass areas. The highest ‘mountain’ of the insular state is the Bukit Timah Hill, which measures 176 meters.
The climate in Singapore is tropical and very humid. The average temperature during the day is 28 degrees and the average humidity is at 75%. This is because Singapore is located not far away from the equator and therefore directly in the tropical area. The so-called rainy season starts in november and ends in january. Singapore has no seasons like europe, only the dry and rainy season.
- 1819 –Singapore was founded as commercial settlement of The UK and developed to the trade platform of south-east-asia
- 1874 –Immigration from China and India
- 1942 –Japan overtakes Singapore
- 1946 –The british take over Singapore again
- 1965 –Singapore gets independent
- 1971 –The birtish forces leave Singapore
- -2010 –Singapore gets one of the wealthiest countries of the world and becomes the most secure travel destination. Singapore is now especially known for its development and building projects, its outstanding system of education, and the safety, which is available in all areas.
Since 1959 Singapore calls itself a republic and since August 9th, 1965 the former crown colony of the british is independent.Since this day, the 9th of August is a national holiday in Singapore. Since 2004 Lee Hsien Loong is the head of government and Sellapan Rama Nathan, since 1999, head of the republic Singapore. The official language in Singapore is English, and everyone who is under the age of 40 is able to speak it fluently. Furthermore people speak malay, chinese, and tamil.
Within just a couple of years Singapore managed to develop from an emerging nation to an industrial country which is primary focused on services. With a GDP of 132.5 billion €, and a GDP of 49.7 € per person, Singapore and its inhabitants are one of the most prosperous and wealthy in the world. The rate of unemployment is currently 2.6% and did therefore decline in the last couple of years. Singapore is also known as an international financial community and also very successful in trading affairs. Singapores port is one of the biggest and most modern reloading points in the world. The city is very clean. This also accounts for the beverages that can be consumed without a doubt. Also the tap water is potable.
In Singapore people are driving on the left side of the road, which probably means a re-arrangement for most people. Furthermore they obtain a very strict traffic regulation. Every person that wants to buy him or herself a car has to apply for a qualification (Certificate of Entitlement) These qualifications are sold via an auction and are valid for 10 years only. This is an implication of Singapore’s Government to keep the number of cars manageable. In Singapore city they also have an electronic toll system which manages the traffic.